Started by a group of families in the 1930s, Cuttyhunk Yacht Club has grown to include generations of sailors, islanders, and summer residents. All who share a love of the ocean, the community, and the beauty that the island of Cuttyhunk offers.
Instructors and Officers
• Head Instructor: Ben Frothingham
• 2nd Instructor: Cecilia Adams
• 3rd Instructor: Aiden Buckley
• 3rd Instructor: Elsa Couvillon
• 3rd Instructor: Graziella Vezza
2019 Club Officers
• Commodore: Charmaine Gahan
• Vice-Commodore: Heidi Frothingham
• Treasurer: Bert Nagtegaal
• Clerk: Bruce Scott
Alexander C. Brown, Jr. (1956 - 1957)
Cathy Broderick (2013 – 2014)
John Kidder (2015 – 2016)
Chris Frothingham (2016 – 2018)
Charmaine Gahan (2018 –
The boats were moored at the boathouse located next to the Town Dock. The Cuttyhunk Historical Society has a model of the early yacht club built by Chunk Goodrich.
Unfortunately, the hurricane of 1938 carried away the boathouse and most of the boats. This catastrophe, combined with the lack of summer jobs on the island, put and end to the club. In the 1950s, interest in sailing instruction revived as children of the 1930s brought their own children to the island for vacations.
On April 14, 1956, at the home of Robert and Eleanor Moore, the new Cuttyhunk Yacht Club was launched. The next few years saw many changes. Kitsy and Wye Garfield gave the property for the present clubhouse, built by A.P. Tilton and Allan Potter.
Today the club has programs for children from 6 to 16 who enjoy learning to tie knots, row, sail, race, and capsize safely. True to form, many of the participants from the 50s and 60s have gone on to be instructors and Yacht Club officers themselves.
So, Give three cheers for Cuttyhunk.